Late last month the EEOC issued its Strategic Enforcement Plan for 2013. The Plan sets forth 6 priorities:
1. Eliminating Barriers in Recruitment and Hiring;
2. Protecting Immigrant, Migrant and Other Vulnerable Workers;
3. Addressing Emerging and Developing Issues;
4. Enforcing Equal Pay laws;
5. Preserving Access to the Legal System; and
6. Preventing Harassment Through Systemic Enforcement and Targeted Outreach.
Based on these priorities I recommend employers take the following steps:
1. Conduct an internal “equal pay audit” to ensure that male and female employees are being paid the same for equal work;
2. Conduct anti-harassment training for your entire workforce;
3. Conduct an internal audit of your compliance with immigration laws, including Form I-9, and;
4. Conduct an internal audit to ensure that there are not discriminatory differences in pay for any employees.
Any issues that are discovered should be corrected.
Happy New Year!